Monday, March 13, 2006

JOURNAL: Boobs

A note on the previous post - I was not imagining things when I said everyone in the locker room was staring at my boobs. They were.

I have befriended the yoga instructor at the gym, a warm, friendly, and beautiful Korean woman who I will call Esther. I ran into her on my way home from the gym on Thursday, and we began to chat. We warmed to each other immediately, and she felt no hesitation in holding onto my arm and hands even though we had just met. The Koreans have no difficulty in expressing same-sex physical affection.

Esther has a strong and warm "gi," a concept which is a very spiritual matter in the east. I have always known of and rather strongly perceived it's existence (INFJ personality that I am), but most Westerners do not recognize it. It is a person's inner spirit and emotional balance, plus something quite ineffable. This is how Koreans determine who they will be friends with and who they will not be friends with. Esther has a beautiful gi; this makes her a beautiful woman to me. Her external beauty is only enhanced by her internal beauty, and, though she is in her mid-thirties, I hope some man recognizes her for the gem that she is.

I ran into Esther at the gym tonight in the changing room. I have officially given up on modesty for practical reasons; without thinking much about it, I removed my sports bra and changed into my street bra. We struck up a conversation and continued our changing. As I threw my rather ratty sweater over my head, she suddenly said, "You look so glamorous!"
Confused, I asked her what she meant, and she pointed to my chest.
"Big!" she said. "I wish I have bigger."
"Too big!" I protested. "Backache."
She then pointed to my sports bra. Koreans do not wear them because they do not need them.
"Very small?"
"Yes. Tight. Strap 'em down."
"Ah....Excersise hurt, yes?" She mimicked jumping up and down.
"Yes."
An enlightened grin spread over her expressive face. I then regaled her with a story of a well-endowed college acquaintance of mine, who was a bit of a jokester. This person used to amuse us with placing a cup (or shot glass) in her ample bosom, then proceeding to drink it. She also used to balance plates. Esther hooted with laughter over this story.

On a personal note, I am finally getting used to Korean bluntness. Although it still manages to shock me on occasion, I no longer get annoyed. Every situation is humorous if you look at it in the right way.

3 comments:

  1. Was that well-endowed college friend of yours me, amy, or someone else?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think drama department. Who was notorious for big boobs and hung out with a certain flamer all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOH! How could I forget!!! *slaps forehead* I *do* miss James...oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete